LMS-forum - powered by XMB Board Logo

Toronto Worlds 2009
gabe2001 - 27-7-2009 at 12:39

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD Morning Torrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrontooooooooooooooo

All pictures from 2009.Toronto, continuously updated

Monday: after a busy weekend of travel, setup, free practice the show is starting - 8am

Weekend lap times for the Ferrari's during practice 7.3 - 7.6 for the quicker teams and around 8sec for the slower ones.

Weekend LMP lap times between 6.88 (lane 8) and 7.5 (lane 1). Mike and Nick dominating the pace very closely followed by Chris and Tim as well as Marcel and myself ;)

Update: Monday 14:40
F430 scrutineering takes longer than anticipated - rules are difficult to enforce. In particular the minimal body width as the kit by itself is already at, if not over, the minimal 78mm.

There's not much to report as not much is happening at the moment. Scrutineering still haggling over the Ferrari's... :car:

Update: Monday 15:10
Just about to start mounting the hand-out tires onto the ALMS cars...

Stay tuned
-gabe

gabe2001 - 27-7-2009 at 16:54

Eagle Eye Lars has not seen a F430 which passed scrutineering...

Chris and Gabe got the wrong body (street version vs. challenge version). Some racers, no names have been announced yet as of 13:00, have other deficiencies - there will be some weight penalties for cars which cannot be mended to be compliant with the rules....

Update: Andy announces the penalties:

Body too wide - 5g
Missing parts - 1g
Missing D11 D22 - 2g
Shortened front lip (D8) - 30g

Franco only racer who passed tech control.

All other racers had small to big problems. Main arguing point was maximum body width of 78mm.

As a consequence Tim Tyler, who didn't agree with how the rules were applied, withdrew from the F430 races. Chris Radisich also withdrew from participation as he cannot agree with how the rules were applied either.

gabe2001 - 27-7-2009 at 16:58

Here's BRM's Francesco Seren (white shirt) letting his car see the track.

Initial lap times around 10sec...

gabe2001 - 27-7-2009 at 20:31

Just about to start off the F430 races with a mini sprint race (1' stints). Mainly to verify all is working as expected. Track is very slippery as it hasn't been raced all day.
And the first results are in:

Ted Howes Memorial - Warmup Race

1. Chuck Ingram - 56.29

2. Gabriel Inäbnit - 55.82

3. Terry Dalton - 54.58

4. Simon Wakelin - 54.10

5. Jan Roestorf - 54.00

6. Mark Campbell - 53.72

7. Glenn Wennerberg - 53.67

8. Franco DeVuono - 52.90

9. Victor Czeiwony - 51.90

10. Louise Valkenbourgh - 51.29

11. Roger Schmitt - 51.26

12. Javier Checa Sr. - 50.70

13. Nick de Wachter - 49.60

14. Peter Czerwony - 49.24

15. Bernard Moses - 48.56

16. Børge Haug - 48.10

17. Laura Schmitt - 46.71

18. Tim Snyder - 42.40

19. Javi Checa Jr. - 41.69

20. Mike Stahl - 33.60

21. Marcel Oosterling - 14.00

22. Bob Bainborough - 13.00

23. Colin Schmitt - 5.00

24. Tim Tyler - DNS

25. Chris Radisich - DNS

Oosterling's car was put in the wrong lane, crashed and then got rear ended by another car. As a result his car ended up in the garage for a major repair. Currently the glue is drying which holds the body mount plates...

Next up: F430 qualification

Gert - 27-7-2009 at 20:35

Gabe I have made a link to your picasa on the World Slotcarforum
So that all the others can see the pics your uploading

Good luck with the races budy

Greetz Gert

gabe2001 - 27-7-2009 at 23:20

gabe2001 - 28-7-2009 at 00:52

This is the line up for the 1/24 Sprint Championship:

Group C

(f.l.t.r)

Group B

(f.l.t.r)

Group A

(f.l.t.r)

And the results: (sorry not much time for comments - marshalling)

Update: Tuesday 02:40 - Almost ready to hit the sack.

Main final lineup

Gabe raced the semifinal tactically to not finish first and having to start on lane 1 for the final. However, Børge's 3rd place proved to be the better starting point as he had lanes 1 and 2 last which had more grip at end than at the beginning. Borge raced 3 laps more on lanes 1 and 2, made some mistakes on the faster laps, but in the end claimed victory on lane 1 by 40 segments. He could control the pace as Gabe had to push very hard to chase after Børge's lead on all lanes.

F430 sprint championship is decided: Winner Børge Haug (NO), 2nd Gabriel Inäbnit (CH), 3rd Glenn Wennerberg (NO)

Complete results of the F430 sprint championship:

Good night for now!

Tomorrow it's the long day of the ALMS cars - a new day with new chances.

Cheerio to the sprint champion of the 2009 Toronto worlds!

Update Tuesday noon: post-championship, secrets are revealed
F430 and their chassis - (f.l.t.r) Borge's Plafit S24 SLP w/ Fola parts, Gabe's Metris MkIV, Glenn's Plafit S24 SLP w/ Fola parts.
Bottom view:

-g

gabe2001 - 28-7-2009 at 15:14

Good morning from Toronto - Endurance day (and night and day) ;)

Just getting settled here and stretching my legs before the long event - my recollections from last year's endurance was: sprint race but then for 50+ minutes per lap - extremely exhausting...

Stay tuned for more news as the day unfolds...

Everyone loves to read the tabloids in the morning :bounc:

-g

gabe2001 - 28-7-2009 at 16:22

During idle periods Marcel and myself are getting to know Fola's Plafit DPM car with which we intend to enter the Plafit PanAm championship on Thursday. Big Thank You to Fola for letting us race your car!

tamar - 28-7-2009 at 16:38

Hello Gabe

Congrats on setting pole and finishing .....2nd, sounds lik it could have gone either way.

Anyhow, not 2 many replies to the thread, but keep posting, a lot of guys are reading it.

Goodluck and good speed ;)

gabe2001 - 28-7-2009 at 16:50

It would be most excellent if we could celebrate your birthday in Toronto!
cheers!
-g

gabe2001 - 28-7-2009 at 17:55

and the flag has dropped for the Canadian Grand Prix.
GT cars are the first to run the 8 x 5'

- just back from helping Terry with their lights problem and now it's our turn for the Canadian Grand Prix LMP cars

LMP line-up for the Canadian Grand Prix:

And the results are:
Le Mans Prototypes
1. Chris Radisich/Tim Tyler 288.66 laps
2. Jan Roestorf/Simon Wakelin 283.40
3. Gabe Inabnit/ Marcel Oosterling 274.68
4. Nick de Wachter/Mike Stahl 270.67
5. Roger Schmitt/Checa Jnr 246.10
6. Mustang Haug/Glen Wennerberg 228.69

Grand Touring
1. Moses/Devuono 272.72 laps
2. Czerwony/Czerwony 268.52
3. Schmitt/Schmitt 268.29
4. Valkenbourgh/Campbell/Checa Sr 267.04
5. Seren/Baratella/Smith 234.87
6. Snyder/Bainborough 180.28
7. Dalton/Ingram 94.00

The winner get's to choose the lane for the Endurance Worlds.
Today's schedule (local time - GMT-4):
15:00-19:00 GT 1st day section
19:00-23:00 LMP 1st day section
23:00-03:00 LMP night section
03:00-07:00 GT night section
07:00-11:00 GT 2nd day section
11:00-15:00 LMP 2nd day section

Stay tuned.

Whitemouse - 28-7-2009 at 18:09

Hi Gabe,

Yeah, great to read and see the pics, wish I was there..................

Good luck!

PS: Congrats Tamar!

gabe2001 - 28-7-2009 at 19:48

...on the Aussie forum:

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10093&pid=110236&st=0

That's Down Under where the Holdens Roar and Thunder :car:

gabe2001 - 28-7-2009 at 23:09

We're just back from dinner and about to get going with the LMP race. Not much time (=no time) to update during the race as we marshal as well.

And the LMP results are in:

Børge and Glenn retired with technical defect. Jan and Simon changed their motor and are now back on pace.
LMP night section is about to begin...

-g

oliveira - 29-7-2009 at 00:52

great race
GABE y see ool fotos im yior PICASA
and looks great

good the sachis made for FOLA

oliveira

gabe2001 - 29-7-2009 at 14:51

Good morning from, sad to say, rainy Toronto - but tomorrow it will be sunny :)

Dutch breakfast: Hagelslag - never leave home without it. He had to leave the potatoes behind as they would have exceeded the maximum luggage weight :laugh:

Just arrived at the track to get ready for the 2nd day section of the LMPs.

The GT Endurance Worlds results are in:

1. 3199.20 - Laura Schmitt/Colin Schmitt

2. 3188.71 - Bernie Moses/Franco DeVuono

3. 3139.77 - Terry Dalton/Chuck Ingram

4. 3113.47 - Louise Valkenbourgh/Mark Campbell/Javier Checa

5. 2906.26 - Francesco Seren/Enrico Baratella/Allan Smith

6. 2631.18 - Tim Snyder/Bob Bainborough

7. 911.11 - Victor Czerwony/Peter Czerwony

I'll try to get someone to add some comments on the GT race.

Update 14:20 - LMP Endurance Worlds just finished and the results are (confirmed):

1. 3718.8 - Javi Checa/Roger Schmitt
    Peugeot 908 by Fola - Chassis Fola - instant light kit by Gabe

2. 3714.2 - Mike Stahl/Nick de Wachter
    Acura ARX-01b by Nick - Chassis Nick - lights by Gabe

3. 3690.1 - Gabriel Inäbnit/Marcel Oosterling
    Acura ARX-01b by Gabe - Chassis RPM (CH)

4. 3529.1 - Chris Radisich/Tim Tyler
    Lola-Mazda by Nick - Chassis Nick - lights by Gabe

5. 3357.2 - Jan Roestorf/Simon Wakelin
    Porsche RS Spyder by Jan - Chassis by Mr. Kudo (Zink Racing, Japan) - lights by Johan vd Merwe (ZA)

6. 482 - Børge Haug/Glenn Wennerberg
    Porsche RS Spyder - Chassis by Fola - lights by Børge

1. fola - 29-7-2009 at 15:36

Hey Gabe thanks for half quenching my thirst for info!
      Congrats to Borge yourself and Glen and of course thanks
      for choosing to Race my Parts!
      Did not really understand the lmp results but thanks again
      for posting
      I myself am on the German autobahn doing about 240 kmh
      andposting w my iPhone!
      Regards to all
      C ya
      Fola

ddebella - 29-7-2009 at 18:56

Thanks so much for all the info Gabe and everyone. Its unfortunate I was unable to arrive and see everyone. I'm enjoying seeing the latest news right here.

Dan

gabe2001 - 30-7-2009 at 00:20

Random built groups for the 1:24 Production PanAm championship:

Group C:

and their cars

Group B:

and their cars

Group A:

and their cars

gabe2001 - 30-7-2009 at 15:18

Hello and good day from Toronto - Thursday, Plafit PanAm day...

Not much time to hack away at the computer as training/setup takes all my revs. I'll try to post some news.

Lap times thus far around 7.6 on lanes 7 and 8 by Mike/Nick, Børge/Glen, and Gabe/Marcel ;) - Fola's Porsche runs like a charm and we're very happy with it. It has go the looks too!

Tire hand-out: I LOVE tire trueing under time pressure... NOT :m16:

Terry, Gabe, Tim, Lars

All cars are now in parc fermée. We're running 26.6 tires and a 14/46 gear ratio. During practice we ran down the tires from 26.7 to 26.3 (0.4 wear). We spent about 80' on the track during testing/training - not much testing as we just used what we've got. It was a good choice so far as lap times were at par with the other fast teams...

Qualification results

1. 7.715 - Børge/Glenn - Mustang Sally's - start with double sit-out - car by Ralph Seif

2. 7.719 - Javi/Javier - Marina Alta - start with single sit-out

3. 7.719 - Gabe/Marcel - Racing for Holland - start on lane 6 - car by Fola

4. 7.722 - Jan/Simon- AUSforce - start on lane 7

5. 7.766 - Mike/Nick - TNT is niiiiiiice! - start on lane 5

6. 7.840 - Chris/Tim - starring Chris and Timmy - start on lane 4

7. 7.899 - Chuck/Victor - Hatchlings - start on lane 8

8. 8.003 - Franco/Bernie - Slot Car Circuit - start on lane 2

9. 8.237 - Mark/Tim/Bob - Non von Tricht - start on lane 1

10. 8.303 - Terry/Peter - PT Burn Out - start on lane 3

Starting grid and their riders (m:

Computer just crapped out after the 5th segment and lost the laps - we have to redo the 5th.

We just finished our 8th stint and it's now nail biting time to observe the last two stints (9 and 10).

Last stint started - Børge needs 76 laps to stay 1st. Depending on the number of accidents (and blocking lane 8) it should be achievable...
      Quick scare there for Børge as the car wasn't moving after a track call... a little nudge and it went off again - 4 minutes remaining

pfffff - heat ended - RfH stayed ahead by 0.3 laps ;) - we now will pick the double sit-out as a starting position to hopefully be able to control the 2nd heat.

Chuck and Victor (team Hatchlings) retired after the 1st heat and we're now down to 9 teams and only one sit-out. We re-chose the sit-out...

and we're off into the 2nd heat.

Jan and Børge just did a tire change. Took them quite some time and I'll keep my fingers crossed to not make any f-ups... - that's for now as we'll have to start in less than 5 minutes... see you on the other side of the heat :car:
      -g

gabe2001 - 31-7-2009 at 01:30

tamar - 31-7-2009 at 02:33

Just took a late night pee (getting old man's habits ;) and saw your text message
      Well done...Rfh Panam Plafit Champs...who would have guessed that.

Also credit for Fola...you may not have been there dude, but your cars definately were

Whitemouse - 31-7-2009 at 06:02

Great going, it sounds like fun, and High Five and congrats from Charlies Angels to RfH!!! Even though you beat my fellow countrymen:D

fola - 31-7-2009 at 10:17

Gabe... Marcel.... WELL DONE!!!!!
      Proud of you!!
      And again.... Thanks for trusting my car!!

Fola
      P.S
      I was with you all the way... mind, bodies, chassis and soul ;-)

road - 1-8-2009 at 13:36

Hey Gabe, Nick und alle anderen
      glückwunsch.:holy

Übrigens toller Live-Ticker. So sollte das immer sein.:bounc:

gabe2001 - 4-8-2009 at 20:54

Toronto Worlds 2009 are over and I'm almost back to a normal rhythm of day and night. Mundane chores are also hauling me back into the real world - where's that blue pill when you need it :D

Let me start with extending my thanks to everyone who showed up in - or really tried hard to make it to - Toronto. Without any of you this event would have been nothing. Special thanks to Mark Campbell who, in spite of all the road blocks, stood by his word to organize the 2009 Worlds. I'm sure it would have been easy to simply call it off and to not bother with all the troubles. Thanks Mark!
      Thanks go also to all the folks that provided the necessary and much appreciated support to run such an event!
      Bringing the thanks closer to home I'd like to thank Fola for the Plafit loaner - it made my (birth-)day! And to pull the thanks all the way home, I'd like to thank Marcel for being an excellent racer and helping me making my day at the PanAm Plafit championship.
      Last but not the least, thanks to my family for letting me indulge in this out-of-hand gotten, addictive, crazy, fun hobby of model car racing. I look very much forward embracing them again tomorrow when they return from Switzerland.

What I take away from Toronto are the trophies of course ;), but more importantly the exquisite memories of meeting the same old nutters as well as making new friends. It is my hope that the model car racing virus is spreading fast around the globe and that we'll meet again somewhere soon.

cheerio!
      -gabe

edit: I must not forget to thank Hans-Peter Hilbrand for the superb Metris Mk IV chassis. The F430 was the fastest car on the track and I finished 2nd only due to my own wrong tactics...

marco - 13-8-2009 at 02:27

Quote:
      Originally posted by gabe2001
      What I take away from Toronto are the trophies of course ;), but more importantly the exquisite memories of meeting the same old nutters as well as making new friends. It is my hope that the model car racing virus is spreading fast around the globe and that we'll meet again somewhere soon.

cheerio!
      -gabe

I am happy to see Gabriel's posting of the awards. He passed a lot of good advice to me over the past year, one point being not to make the gaudy big gold trophies and to save his wife the time of putting them in the trash when I return home. It was a year of difficult economy and a year that was easy to cancel slot racing. We missed some of our good friends for reasons that are beyond anyone's control and beyond anyone's critique. But at the end of the day it was important that the Toronto Worlds was maintained. And this is all about trust, something that money can never buy. So to those that had to take a pass, we all say "See you soon" and to those that could make the trip "We all say thanks". Was it worth it? To see Roger Schmitt on the podium alongside 'Javi' Checa, two racers that had never met let alone compete together . . . this is the spirit of international sportsmanship. To see some of the local racers standing on the line next to NdW, Gabe, Tim, Chris, Jan, etc. etc. gave me a very big smile. To see the spirit of goodwill overcome everything . . . my reason to continue. My most sincere thanks to everyone. Merci et à bientôt.

Mark