Topic PostsLMS-forum

Not logged in

Recover Lost Password | Register     

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites

Body Talk: DBR9 Jet Alliance 1/24
  Post new thread Poll:  
fola

Mood: ADMIN wanna be I D A M N right I'm building again & Sleepless in the celler
posted on 22-12-2007 at 17:11 Reply With Quote
DBR9 Jet Alliance 1/24

Well y'all practically refuse to "share" your wip's with us all,
and are so set on keeping your secrets secret hope you all
realize that in doing so the forum loses it's appeal and that
if everyone were to do the same, there would be no information
and tips and so on.
I visit very often just to find out what's up, who's doing what
only to have to read the same headlines over and over again.

S A D. :upset:

Well I will try to grab your interest with something a little different.....
You all know that I am a huge DBR9 fan and that I have joined in
a way, the alliance..... take a peek....

So here's the scoop and it's not for the weak of heart !
It all started off with two perfectly healthy Dbr9's in scale 1:18 by Auto art which I bought on ebay. The cars were
really beautiful but both had the "wrong" paint scheme - and I still feel a bit bad about doing what I had to do.....
1 by 1 and piece by piece i took the cars apart being careful not to break anything in the process, which is a really
difficult task when you do not know how the models were put together in the first place. All went well and a few
hours later the cars were striped to the bone and the private parts were stashed away for future reassembly.

I sanded the body down, the decals were Tampon printed and were really hard to get off but eventually the cars
were both blank and i was ready for primer. Then I thought.... while I am at it I could actually start my 2° EEC car
(the first will be an old one from Alsdorf) and save paint booth and cleaning time. So I took a breaky and laminated my
self new Carbon body. All three were then primed, painted white and masked off for the blue colour.

With the paint on, the cars all started looking really good again and it was off to the living room table for decalling!
I started with the 1:18 #33 and mann, it was a real pain in the A!. The shitty thing here is that the Decals are
thermo printed and all the logos need to be cut out individually - dang it! and cutting out white decals from a white
background is no fun at all. Here see for your selves.....that was one sheet.....

The decaling, although time consuming went quite smoothly, the 1:18 cars are a dream to work with and everything
is a lot cleaner than the smaller 1:24 scale.

The white area on the bonnet is also a decal. It did not really lay down well and the sides of the air inlets needed
to be painted anyway ... so i decided to mask the area off and paint the white area as i had done with the sides.
The #33 was already decaled and not being too sure about how it would turn out, i decided to do a test on the
car #36 which was a decal virgin.
It turned out fine and so I removed the white decal from the hood of #33 and carefully masked off the areas
not to be painted - the whole car - taking car not to put tape on the unprotected decals. All went smoothly and
the result was really a huge improvement on the decaled version.

After that small success i moved on and applied the rest of the decals until all were on. Then it was time to clear
paint the car a sary thing because , again you can never be really sure that all will go as planned and the car was
already looking very good. Broke out the can of Gunze super clear and pshhhhhhshhhhhhhhhhhhhshhhhhhhh -
the perfect finish . Impressive , very very nice it all looked!!!!

That done , I was ready for the car #36 which was a repeat process and was really easy but again, time consuming.
The end result was just as satisfying as the #33 and viewing both bodies together was a sight for sore eyes and actually
very much worth the work and damage done to the originals. The cars are just Super Hot !!

In the time it took #36 to dry, i started the rebuilding process of #33, and after sorting out the bits of the puzzle
I got it all together without missing a single piece. Sunstroke, Spoiler and tire decals and Done!

Check out the results for your selves..... not bad huh??
was fun to do and now that they are done I don't want to give them to the Race Alliance team.
The Cars were ordered by the team and the decals made by my man in München.

fola

Mood: ADMIN wanna be I D A M N right I'm building again & Sleepless in the celler
posted on 25-12-2007 at 17:52 Reply With Quote
Finito!

JustMe

posted on 25-12-2007 at 19:19 Reply With Quote
couldn't find the BBS rims? :-)

other than that :holy

fola

posted on 25-12-2007 at 23:13 Reply With Quote

never really searched.... since the 2006 versions also ran on the OZ type wheels.
And then , in 1:18........ would not even know where to look :):):)
fola

posted on 26-12-2007 at 07:50 Reply With Quote

Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top