Topic PostsLMS-forum

Not logged in

Recover Lost Password | Register     

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites

Body Talk: DBR9's 4 Arlsdorf- Double trouble = twice the fun! updated- ! RACED to Hell (Arlsdorf ;-) and back
  Post new thread Poll:  
 Pages:  1  2
fola

Mood: ADMIN wanna be I D A M N right I'm building again & Sleepless in the celler
biggrin.gif posted on 18-6-2007 at 11:16 Reply With Quote
DBR9's 4 Arlsdorf- Double trouble = twice the fun! updated- ! RACED to Hell (Arlsdorf ;-) and back

Thought I'd add to this chapter before I give way to a new one...
My Race Alliance is "Back on he block" and ready for more action,
Arlsdorf was really tough on the car and it almost didnt make it.

Got back home and stripped the body completely, inspected the damage
and go tdown to fixin.... superglue, filler, more resin and carbon fiber a lot
of sanding and reshaping new paint, decals, clear paint......

The put the peices back together and .- wow, it is looking as good as new!

Gonna Race it again??

Nah, it will be a show peice in memory of my first International race !

The Race Alliance car hat ran that weekend had a sligthly different livery meaning
that i have an excuse to build a new car ;-)
Getting the decals done, got the new body.....
look out for the new post

:finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger:

Started on the Astons for Arlsdorf,
The Original body is a Hiro (Resin) and there are no majour mega modifications here, as I am happy with the shape and size of my body...
I made a few cosmetic modifications in order to be as close to the original specs as possible.
The Body was made using the same mold/lamination procedures as usual, -

clean/clear panel lines
Close up master openings
build box
stick master to box floor
close box
mix silicon
pour silicon
wait a bit
DRY?
open box
remove master
admire mould
mix resin
brush resin on
let dry
laminate with shreds of fibreglass
strenghten with carbon strands
let dry
remove from mould
admire......

the bodies needed a bit of cleaning up... took a bit of time to get them both
ready for primer and paint ...
Sprayed on a few coats of Tamiya pure white and let dry . as soon as all was
ready, I masked off the white and airbrushed a few coats of Zeros calsonic blue
mixed with 3.5% pure white the colour came out pretty cool. The Proper color
should be Traffic Blue (Pantone 5017) which i feel is too dark, its the blue the
street signs are painted.... at night when lights illluminate the signs, the blue does
seem lighter....... anyway I am satisfeid with my blue and white and the show goes on ;-)

click the pic for more pix!!

dbr9_RA_33 ALSDORF 2007

Got side tracked by a couple of other projects, one of which is pretty interesting.... but thats another story.... here's a peek. ;-)

The decals....
Had the Decals drawn up and printed by a small outfit in Munich Germany, they did a pretty good job, the only bad thing was/is that the decals have to be cut out one by one with a cutter knife and that the backing paper is WHITE. Meaning that you almost cannot see the white decals on the sheet.
But anyway it took about 6 hours not considering the interruptions, to get the decals on.
Really tough jod because due to the fact that they are Thermo**** printed, the decals are
a little thicker than the normal water sliders we are used to and do not react to decal softners :-(( a bit of heat from a hair dryer was a great help though (Please dont tell my wife ;-) ).
With decals appleid it was time to make side sills out of sheet plastic and the front spoiler out of 3mm Carbon sheet.

Then I moved on to rthe carbon fiber areas- front light housings and rear Nasa ducts bonnet grills andd the front spoiler. I used Carpena scale 1/43 carbon decals ...
while the decals where drying I drew and cut out the parts for the rear diffusor... again 3 mm carbon and glued them all togehter with super glue.......

Then.... It was finally time for the wedding. The Bride and groom were joined by Acrylic glue till death do they part..... I built one off body/weight holders the details of which cannot be disclosed at the moment,,,,

With the diffusor done I started work on the rear spoiler. Tamar once criticized my "Flat 2D spoilers so I decided to tackle the third dimension. I took some Lexan packaging, cut the parts out leaving allowance for the wing to be folded. PIX speak louder t´han words.....

the fold gave me the needed 3rd dimension ...

Then Black matt paint and Carbon decals where added and then the side flaps plus decals . The mounts I cut out of 1mm rubber sheet using the original P.E parts as :::::: forgot the word (!) Germany = Vorlage.

So..... now the FUN PART, The INTERIOR.

Theis is the part I enjoy most, because i tend to put so much invisible and heavey junk in that just
really makes no sense but ends up looking quite cool.
Started with the dash- Renaissance vacum copy.... Light and good looking... covered the lower 1/2 of the dash with carbon decals just like the real thing, , the cut out a switch panel out of 0.5 mm styrene sheet and appleid the renaissance switch decal and glue the whole assembly to the dash. I then went slightly mad and decided to make illuminated switches
using optical fibers...... drilled 0.5 mm holes and pluged the fiber rods through. The protruding rods are actually the switches and they are illuminated by an SMD LED light which is glued behind and illuminates the instrument display.....

The Cockpit is made out of paper,

rollcage is a resin cast from a source I am not allowed to name ;-) ,

The seat driver figure and belt hard wear are from Automobil miniaturen in Germany. I tried to make Carl W as real looking as possible, got a few suit logo decals and managed to paint his suit in the colours he usually races in. Did a bit of detailing with .4mm wire and a few electircals components and markings... still missing are the elastic fasteners Carl uses so that the seat belts do not obstruct entrance/exit during the driver change....
I also made sure the the cockpit remains an individual component so that I can use it in future bodys seeing that it will probably outlive the car that it is in at the moment.

Chcek out the pix

That done, it was time to put it all togehter, The windows are lexan and I glued them in with Pattex extreme, a really good glue. The Spoiler is the usuall affair, I cut out slots in the rear boot and plugged in the spoiler stands. , Put it the cockpit, attached the lights, attached the chassis anr Vrooooooooom :car::car::car:

The light kit is by Over drive which I modified by changing all the wire and relocating the accumulators to the chassis plate . It has working brake lights and I made a 3rd brake light using optical glass fiber... did'nt turn out as good as i would have like but now i know how to get better results and since this car will be duplicated. its not a big deal, I will get the chance to improve.

I am pretty satisfied with the way it tunred out, it was a lot of work but it surely paid off when one considers the result.
A few minor things need to be done still, eg. Brake discs, antennae, tire decals......

so, now its time to start the second part of the doulbe trouble duo!

Added a little detail ;-)

will keep you posted!

fola
tamar

Mood: A new beginning ;)
posted on 25-6-2007 at 10:51 Reply With Quote
No reply

Hey Fola

Ever wondered why nobody replies to your posts?

...cause everybody is abolutely.....speechless :holy:holy:holy:holy:holy:holy:holy:holy:holy:holy:holy:holy:holy

Looks like you got really fired up after that body workshop, had you still been using a dremel you would be up to your ears in resindust :laugh:

Great work..looking forward to see the jet alliance race @Spa ...twice :car::car:

BTW
gratulations are in order...for a fine win @ Monza
http://www.dailysportscar.com/published/61F2954B-1143-FDC9-35B8911E58A287EC/fiagt_race_7.jpg

Looks like the Astons are on a roll..(finally)

http://www.dailysportscar.com/published/61F2954B-1143-FDC9-35B8911E58A287EC/fiagt_race_5.jpg

With kind regards
Tamar
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gert

posted on 25-6-2007 at 16:56 Reply With Quote

What could we say to a guy who is building these kind of cars.:D:D

Greetz Gert

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Big Al

Mood: No Mood
posted on 4-7-2007 at 11:17 Reply With Quote

Ermm.. I've got something to say..

Pls bring 1 x SPARE body in November for me to purchase Fola.. :)

regards

Big AL
fola

Mood: ADMIN wanna be I D A M N right I'm building again & Sleepless in the celler
posted on 6-7-2007 at 14:42 Reply With Quote
Comments really are welcome!!!

Alvaro

Mood: Building the best and fast car.
posted on 6-7-2007 at 15:09 Reply With Quote

Sorry but I`m very impressive... I don`t have words... :holy:holy:holy:holy

My last hero was Mr. Tamar..., now you are the FIRST hero...

Regards

Rural Slot
Alvaro Sarabia
Big Al

posted on 10-7-2007 at 13:40 Reply With Quote

Oh ok...

:holy:holy:holy:holy:holy:holy:holy:holy:holy:holy

FOLA IS THE MAN, T IS NOT...
FOLA IS THE MAN, T IS NOT...

:):laugh:
fola

posted on 10-7-2007 at 19:07 Reply With Quote

Guys thanks but there is only ONE ***!!
Tamar the Teacher is the man who perfects
perfection!!!!
I just copy.......and follow footsteps ;-)
tamar

posted on 11-7-2007 at 13:15 Reply With Quote
Not in my lifetime

Quote:
Originally posted by fola
Guys thanks but there is only ONE God!!

Yes there is.......and thou shall not use his name in vain!!!!!

Teacher...I can live with that ..I'll take it as a compliment thinking that you'actually learned something from my mistakes
...... God how ever.....

......Come on guys gimmy a break here...
....we're only humans playing with little cars..

So stop busting my balls with post like this or I will have to kick your mortal butt's out of Paradise :D
PorscheFreak

Mood: Cool
posted on 19-7-2007 at 11:26 Reply With Quote

Very creative and inspiring bodywork there...

Where do you source your carbon fiber strands and glassfiber?
I assume these are general supplies mainly used for some other things than just model cars...

I'm working on a classic Porsche 911 remake/modication, and planning to cast a very lightweight bodyshell after making the all the required modications to the master, so any strenghtening measures like the carbon fiber will be needed.

/Pekka
tamar

posted on 19-7-2007 at 13:00 Reply With Quote
General Info

Hello Porsche freak

The strands most of us use are taken from woven carbon cloth, usually something like 100/120gr m2.
Although the woven cloth is too thick to follow the small curves and shapes of most modelbodies, the individual strands are much more flexible.

You can get carbon cloth from most general suppliers, just Google on carbon laminate for a local source.

With kind regards
Tamar
Big Al

posted on 19-7-2007 at 18:55 Reply With Quote

Fola,

Bloody awesome, and a pleasure to see the build progress.
Honestly, superb work.

Al
JustMe

tongue.gif posted on 20-7-2007 at 09:18 Reply With Quote
no, this is not the twentieth time somebody's gonna say awesome

But the thing looks really cool, very reallistic colour. That's a genuine Aston right there.

:D But: what's with the wheels? what inserts are you using? If you want I can make some for you?
I'm cooking up inserts for the Lambo anyway and that's both that new BBS insert/rim. They'll be painted and ready to go (20mm in diameter) Just bring the brakediscs.
I'm making also as much OZ inserts as I can, but any other request from a team for Alsdorf? :comp:

fola

posted on 20-7-2007 at 11:52 Reply With Quote
Wheels are correct.....

The Lambo has 8 Y spokes whereas the Aston (Race alliance) uses the 7 Y spoke wheels..... bring the inserts to the race for a look see;-)

fola

posted on 23-7-2007 at 06:01 Reply With Quote

where can i get some????

fola

biggrin.gif posted on 24-7-2007 at 05:46 Reply With Quote
How many hours will it take to build a T-Car?????

:car::car::car::car::car:
Last night I realised that I have no car with which I would be willing to "Learn"
a new track with, especilly since I'd be on track I have never driven before with
a bunch of guys full of Baileys and no full drivers license....
or for which other reason does one mount Yellow Plates on a car???
:D:D:D:D
fola

posted on 24-7-2007 at 05:52 Reply With Quote

fola

posted on 25-7-2007 at 08:38 Reply With Quote
# 33 T Done.

so heres the test car, ready to rock (....almost):car::car::car::car:
Here i took my worst body,threw:puke::puke: some blue on it , 3 decals and a s24 chassis.....
tried to get the weights and so on as similar to the race car as possible....

A report will follow.

fola

posted on 26-7-2007 at 21:45 Reply With Quote
Alsdorf - Impressions

click the pic for more pix....
Alvaro

Mood: Building the best and fast car.
posted on 27-7-2007 at 07:30 Reply With Quote

Thank you for the pics Fola, your car have some one damage... you need go by the SLOT... :)

Rural Slot
Alvaro Sarabia
dba

posted on 27-7-2007 at 10:11 Reply With Quote

nice pictures and all the best to the teams 4 the Race
Massiven

Mood: E=mc^2
posted on 27-7-2007 at 12:32 Reply With Quote

Hi there,

nice pictures. long time ago I've been in Alsdorf. take care of your car Fola :).

Cheers,
Mike
fola

posted on 28-7-2007 at 09:34 Reply With Quote

car got trashed but the race was so much fun that the smashed car was not really important.
The second body is almost ready to roll and the old one is fixable.
#33 got the pole at SPA for today and yesterday we made 3rd place and are
VERY VERY VERY Happy with the result.
Thanks to Stefan and Jurgen for the blinding performance without you guys it would not have been possible.
Thanks to Tamar and his team for the fantastic event.

Off to the real race now will keep you updated
Big Al

posted on 29-7-2007 at 20:00 Reply With Quote

Well Done Fola, glad you had a blast..
Sorry the Real Car didn't do that well, followed it on the Web. Sorry for Mr T's Lambo as well, and my AF Corse's which I believe were totally written off.. :-(

Hope you guys all had a blast at SPA, both the Model Car race and the real one...

Cheers for now

Regards

Big Al
fola

posted on 31-7-2007 at 17:46 Reply With Quote
don't do this at home....

sad sad sad , the car did not really survive the onslaught.... see for yourselves,
but as mentioned,we had a great time and the results were more than satisfying.
Even if we did not have the problems we had-
Tape on tires,
Broken body holder L,
detached body holder R,
Detached front Lip (Twice),
Detached Diffusor,
Loose light wires (fouling on the track),
No rear axle play.... why ?-
Tape and wire round the rear axle :-(

Pix speak louder than 1000 words...

Pages:  1  2
Post new thread Poll: