Recover Lost Password | Register     

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites

Body Talk: Decals...Ink or Laserprinting
  Post new thread Poll:  
piraya_disco

Mood: Waiting for the postman..
posted on 25-1-2008 at 10:22 Reply With Quote
Decals...Ink or Laserprinting

Is there any major quality difference between decals printed on an Ink-printer versus Laser, (paperquality?) or is it just the printer itself that is decisive for the result...
What do you professional's prefer ?

Is it the same procedure regarding finishing process for the decals (layer of coating).
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tamar

Mood: A new beginning ;)
posted on 25-1-2008 at 17:18 Reply With Quote
Ink jet vs Laser

Laser prints are better, they have a higher resolution and they are water resistant..Which helps if you want to make waterslides :laugh:

That's why you need to cover ink jet printed decals with a layer of clear coat before you dip them in the water.

Both solutions are good for quick prototype decals and you can achieve great results if used on white cars.

But both printers lack one very important feature... they can't print white!!

With kind regards
Tamar
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rolf

Mood: Not Set
posted on 25-1-2008 at 19:26 Reply With Quote

Jan,
I have checked out the possibilities for printing here in Norway. And must say that that possibility is at the best very limited:(

The problem is of curse the white, and also the will to do such a limited job for a reasonable prize. I got one prospect in Stavanger that liked the challenge since he was doing a lot of decalprinting 20 years ago. Just call me if you want to get in contact wit him.

Rolf

I'll sleep when I'm dead
piraya_disco

Mood: Waiting for the postman..
posted on 25-1-2008 at 19:56 Reply With Quote

Tamar gave me all the answers :holy

I know very well the issue about printing white...the point is why I have
not used a laser for printing my decals......"higher resolution and no layer of clear coat" ..(#&§%&#§ i did not know) I have some fant. laser-printers at work, but I have always used my home ink-printer. :cry::cry::cry:
Gert

posted on 25-1-2008 at 20:08 Reply With Quote
Printing

Hi Jan

The best prints would you get out of a color laser printer but as you know there
will be the problem of the white parts. The decals you need in black are no problem
I even dare to print them with my inktjet at home, after that I give the sheet a 2 layer of clearcoat to protect them from the water you need to get them of the sheet.

I hope you can use this info

Greetz Gert

Whitemouse

Mood: Life is GREAT!!!
posted on 26-1-2008 at 11:16 Reply With Quote

I also use a good laser printer at work, however I still apply a thin layer of clearcoat to protect the print, even though it is a laser printer.

My advice is to try it out, and see what looks best when applied to the body.

Cheers,
Paal Hanson
Vikings Scaleracing Club, Frederikssund, Denmark
tamar

Mood: A new beginning ;)
posted on 6-2-2008 at 13:34 Reply With Quote
White Decal Sheet

Quote:
Originally posted by tamar

But both printers lack one very important feature... they can't print white!!

Although this is true...there is a way to solve this problem. Its a bit of a work around but gives reasonable results.

Besides clear decalsheet there's also something like white decal sheet.

you print your logo's on this white decalsheet but give the artwork a background color that matches your body color.
Then cut the decals as close to the logo's as possible and you can get good results on simple uni-colered cars (Black, red yellow cars etc. etc.)
It may take several tries to get a good match between the printed color and the painted body, but its better than nothing.

With kind regards
Tamar
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top