Recover Lost Password | Register     

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites

The (unofficial) IMCA forum: Homemade Spares
  Post new thread Poll:  
Whizzkid

Mood: No Mood
posted on 14-5-2008 at 13:02 Reply With Quote
Homemade Spares

I see a lot of homemade things around in various websites/forums. Things like weight plates for example, that are ade to fit into every nook and cranny of spare space underneath. The question I need to ask is, are these home made weightplates etc going to be allowed at the 2008 Worlds, or can you only use comercially available spares?
tamar

Mood: A new beginning ;)
posted on 14-5-2008 at 16:30 Reply With Quote
Ballast weight IMCA Worlds

Hello Whizzkid

It all depends on which class you are preparing your car for:

FIA/GT: Ballast weight is free, see tech rules
7.3 CHASSIS, MAKE & TYPE
Any mass manufactured chassis is allowed under the strict condition to use no other parts than those of one and the same manufacturer. Free materials are restricted to (i) nuts, bolts, spacers, washers and springs; (ii) braids & lead wires; (iii) motor holder, (iv) body holders, (v) axle bearings and (vi) ballast weights.

Ferrari F430 Challenge
Here it looks like you can only use commercially available balast weights, as trhe rule book says:
6.3. CHASSIS, MAKE AND TYPE
(a) AT THE IMCA MODEL CAR WORLDS SPRINT - All commercially available model car chassis' are allowed. Mixing of chassis parts between different manufacturers is allowed. Make of the motor holder is free. Assembly of chassis parts must be done via bolts and/or glue using to the original holes provided in the Chassis.

Ferrari F430 Warm up races
These races are open for "experimental chassis, so you can m ore or less do what you want...but the rulebook also says
(b) EXPERIMENTAL CHASSIS AT THE FRANCO GIANOTTI WARM-UP RACES - At the warm-up races (and at the 2008 alternative Toblerone Race) experimental chassis are allowed. Chassis may be made from any material under the condition that it uses no other carbon parts than the ones mentioned above. There may be no other part than the guide holder before the front axle (e.g. no extra ballast). No experimental chassis are allowed at the world championship itself.

Confused?....

Also check the Tech rules on IMCA's website

With kind regards
Tamar
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iceracer

posted on 21-6-2008 at 21:52 Reply With Quote

It's my understanding the hole in the chassis may or may not be filled by any means.

Where does it state that you are restricted to use commercially available ballast, anywhere else on the chassis?
What constitutes commercially available ballast?

These questions are for the F430.

Thanks, Terry
fola

Mood: ADMIN wanna be I D A M N right I'm building again & Sleepless in the celler
posted on 22-6-2008 at 07:26 Reply With Quote

There is NO rule applied to commercially available ballast. And I have not seen/read a rule that stares that the hole may not be filled......

Fola
iceracer

posted on 22-6-2008 at 12:50 Reply With Quote

from the IMCA rules:

"6.3. CHASSIS, MAKE AND TYPE
The opening for the motor in the ground plate MAY be closed by any piece of any make."

Does not say you have to fill it, only may fill it by any means.

As for the ballast portion; I'd be grateful if someone would be able to point that out, as I have not been able to locate it in the rules.

Only 28 more sleeps.... :)
Terry
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top