Topic PostsLMS-forum

Not logged in

Recover Lost Password | Register     

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites

Tech tips: A newbie w/ (lots!) of questions that aren't stupid (hopefully)
  Post new thread Poll:  
TheMoon

posted on 3-1-2005 at 18:52 Reply With Quote
A newbie w/ (lots!) of questions that aren't stupid (hopefully)

Hi, all. Before I ask questions, I would like to thank the hosts and moderators of this board. I live in a marginally important city (New Orleans) which is rather limited in scale model racing resources. Finding the LMS series has increased my enjoyment of this "hobby" immensely.

I have just assembled a scale model race car for the first time using a MoMo SW1 chassis, MoMo gears and Sakatsu wheels which I was (apparently) fortunate enough to find in-stock at a retailer here in the US. It runs quite well under a Tamiya 911 GT3 kit and just looks great. But I have some questions (probably ridiculous to most of you) on how to properly build a scale racer and where to obtain parts (e.g., a
Plafit Excel" chassis, more Sakatsu wheels, tires that will actually fit those wheels, etc.). I also have questions about issues like gearing and weight distribution. I have reviewed this board and the LMS site extensively, but please don't be offended if I ask a question which has been addressed before.

It appears that MoMo's distribution in the States may be limited. The Scholer chassis are available, but I am interested in the Plafit chassis because they look, basically, over-engineered, and I take scale racing as seriously as they seem to.

Who is the best English-speaking on-line retailer of Plafit (I have visited the slotracing.de website, but find it largely incrompehensible even after translation)?

Which Plafit chassis would be most appropriate for a large Carrera layout?

The MoMo chassis I have just built with a Plafit "Fox" motor (its gearing is odd -- a 10 or 11 tooth pinion with a 32 tooth spur gear because that's what fit basically) goes through braid quite quickly and accelerates slowly. Does it use the braids so quickly because I am so often at full throttle? I am using a single Carrera Exclusiv transformer with two terminal tracks and both plugs powering Lane 1. Does the Carrera transformer not supply enough power?

Where can I find Sigma "Black Magic" sponge tires, or any other tires that will fit the wide Sakatsu type wheels, online?

Can I use the wheels and/or inserts from a resin kit with a 3mm (or 1/8" ???) axle ?

How do I determine proper gear ratios?

Finally (for now) does anyone have any experience using the Scalextric "Pacer" (not the "Challenger" Pace Car) unit with Carrera track? Does anyone know of any other method of computer control of a "pace," "ghost" or "challenger" car? For example, does anyone know whether there is a way to convert Carrera digital cars (i.e., remove the chips and other hardware and install them in a LMS type scale race car or other scratch built race car)? If so, is there a source of such information online? Does anyone know whether its possible to hack the Carrera Pro-X system so that cars will operate at greater than 50% of throttle? Is it possible to use after-market controllers with such a ssystem?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am fascinated by all scales of racing...
tamar

Mood: A new beginning ;)
wink.gif posted on 4-1-2005 at 01:03 Reply With Quote
Asking for the "Moon and the Stars"

Hello "Moon" welcome to the LMS forum.

First of all "Newbies" can't ask stupid questions, they just have a lot of questions.:D
And boy..in that respect you certainly qualify.

I'll try to pick some of your most "urgent" ones and will tried to answer them in the best way I can, but for future posts...please try to post seperate questions for each topic. Like "Excessive braid wear" or "Gearing for Fox motors?"
That way it helps other "newbies" to search find the same anwers.

For your questions on wheels and tyres I have created a new topic on the tech tips
(copied a post I did previously on the TSP forum you might want to check that out and get some US scale contacts)

More info on gearing can be found on this site at
technical pages

I'll see if I can answer some more questions later on

With kind regards
Tamar
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top