Recover Lost Password | Register     

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites

Rules & Regulations: Group C regulations
  Post new thread Poll:  
Bas

Mood: No Mood
posted on 30-3-2005 at 19:55 Reply With Quote
Group C regulations

Little question to be certain before I do something to the body wich is not allowed...

I'm going to run the hasagawa Jag xjr-8 lm for the race in leeuwarden.
The body is a bit weak I gues and I would like to make it a bit more durable. eg to plaster the inside and I would like to place a bit of "crashproof" material under the nose and perhaps at the back and sides of the model. Would this be allowed?

Also i allready drilled a little hole in the top for a top light. That brings me to the next question, is it allowed or not to place a lightset?

Thanks in advance,

Bas
tamar

Mood: A new beginning ;)
posted on 31-3-2005 at 05:06 Reply With Quote
Gr C rules Lights & re-inforcements

Hello Bas

Good of you to ask, as a matter of fact I had a talk with Nick (T.C) on both these items tonight as they are not completely covered by the rules. We have not resolved them completely but I hope the following answers will help you.

We wrote the GR C rules in such a way that they would give the slotters the possibility to create a good looking model car that would be easy and simple to build with the parts provided in the basic modelkit and chassis box.

Group C kits are closely matched in both weight and dimensions. So to keep things simple we took the heaviest bodies (Tamiya Porsche 962 & Toyota 88CV) as a guideline for the minimum weight. To bring the lighter bodies to up to the min weight, we stated that, extra parts from the modelkit must be used.
This way we eliminated both the need for dremeling and the possible advantage gain this would bring by removing weight from the top and thus improving the C.G. (centre of gravity).

Lights were not mentioned in the rules (and basicly all that is not mentioned is not allowed) as Gr C will be run in sprint format only (no night racing) with light not required we assumed that nobody would want to do the extra work.
Aparently our assumption was wrong, as we've had several questions from slotters who did want to buildt them in their cars.

The lights (led's, wires & resistors = ± 3 gram) are not a problem as they are devided over the whole body. The extra weight of the circuitry (battery, capacitator or goldcap = ± 5gram) is a problem as these can be placed low in the body and thus improve their C.G.

So here's how the T.C will handle this ( a rule will be added to the regulations accordingly)

Addition to Art 3 Body : Lights
Lights are optinal. Led's (max 3 mm ø) can be mounted in the body for front, rear/brake, top lights and exhausts in their original positions. All other Circuitry, with exeption of wires, resistors and connector, must be placed on the chassis (see art 2).

Making a strong(er) body
Although not mentioned seperately, the rules do have some provisions to improve the crash resistance of your body.
First of all you are allowed to use as many parts of the modelkit as you like. This includes the plastic chassis/floorpan, mounting the front and rear parts to the body will make it stronger.

Secondly if your body has a splitter (part of the plastic chassis extending in front of the body) you're choice of material to make this splitter is free.

Last but not least you are supposed to glue all body parts together (not mentioned as this is deemed to be common knowledge/practice) Adding some extra glue or tape over the joints and in the corners will also strenghten the body.

Most commonly used method is to use cyano-acrilyte (superglue) or plastic weld to where a stiff bonding of the parts is needed or neoprene glue (bisonkit) duct or double sided tape for parts who need to remain a bit flexible.
A combination of both can also be used.

Re-inforcements
Adding additional reinforcements (lamination with GFK and /or carbon) was a much discussed point which has not (yet) been resolved to my liking. Although it would certainly improve the durability of the bodies, all attempts at writing a uniform rule describing how and where to allow this turned out to be too long and complicated.
Remeber we wanted to keep the rules, construction and required materials as simple as possible.

And who knows...maybe the fact that you don't have a "crashproof" body will bring a bit more caution to some of the "crash test dummy's" out there. :D

As of now the jury's still out, we'll see how things go in Leeuwarden.

With kind regards
Tamar
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top