Topic PostsLMS-forum

Not logged in

Recover Lost Password | Register     

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites

Tech tips: New Chassis' and MIN Body Weight???
  Post new thread Poll:  
Big Al

Mood: No Mood
sad.gif posted on 25-9-2008 at 11:40 Reply With Quote
New Chassis' and MIN Body Weight???

Hi guys,

it seems everyone's now in the market to try and produce their own Chassis' and in line with this, I have a question which we're confused with.
Using the SLP2 as an example, or Nick's new Chassis, it seems there's very little, if in fact zero space available to fit any weight plates to the old stype Bodymounts, as the chassis is now as wide as the body. So, in Group C's, or the "Legends" Series as we're busy with, how do you guys add additional ballast to get your bodies to the required min weight of a Body with Bodyholders? eg: 60 grams.
With a Laminated body, lexan interior and windows etc, you're approx 30 to 35 grams max. So how do you add 25 grams worth of low-down weight, if the chassis' are the same width as the body, and there is no space on the thin bodymounts?? :cry:

Looking forward to some clarity here.

Regards

Big Al
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JustMe

driver.gif posted on 25-9-2008 at 17:00 Reply With Quote
That's why there's no minimum weight fo rthe body

And my chassis is only 76mm wide, but up from the next laser-run they will be only 66 wide, as this will fit the 997 and 430 cup version also, so with 66mm I have about the biggest bunch covered when I wanna bring out my chassis on a bigger scale.:D

Big Al

posted on 25-9-2008 at 20:25 Reply With Quote

Thanks Nick,
Chassis does look interesting.. But, no min weight of body will be a problem for sure. Not going to debate that, as I'm no longer involved, but our Legends series will feature a min of 60 grams on the body. So, In order to attaint that, I gather the chassis baseplate must have enough width to support weight kits on the bottom of the Bodymounts, in order to get the weight as low as possible..

So the only way I see that happening, is to have the sides of the baseplate brought in to cater for the Weight plates, correct..

Back to the Drawing board.

Big Al
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tamar

Mood: A new beginning ;)
posted on 27-9-2008 at 17:00 Reply With Quote
Chicken or the egg

Boet

The SLP2 chassis and its derratives were specifically designed to fit the SLP rules, and because these rules do not specify a min body weight the best way to get all the weight as low down as possible is to put in on trhe chassis.

I wouyld like to know the motivation as to why your "Legend series" will specify a 60 gr min body weight.

With kind regards
Tamar
Big Al

posted on 28-9-2008 at 15:01 Reply With Quote

Hey Boet, :holy

We feel that a Min Bodyweight (60 grams), will alow a varied mix of bodies to race in our series, including our laminated bodies, or Commercial Kits. Bodyweight always varies between 20 to 35 grams, so we allow lexan windows, lightweight interiors, and rear wings etc, but the Bodymount brackets then carry all the weight low down next to the chassis.

It's cool for our Legends series, there are open class cars getting on the tracks, and they look really nice, so things go in the right direction.

Cheers for now

Regards

B A
fola

Mood: ADMIN wanna be I D A M N right I'm building again & Sleepless in the celler
posted on 29-9-2008 at 06:22 Reply With Quote

HI...
no matter which cars you run, standard or laminated, open or closed, the lighter body will always have the advantage because you will be able to place the extra weight exactly there where it is theoretically needed.
We also all know that the key factor is where the weight is positioned.
Francesc posted some very interesting comments on the EEC page.
No two bodies are the same.... even if they have the same weight.
The SLP series, the DTSW and now the EEC only indicate the Total weight of the RTR car

fola

Von 908#17
Big Al

posted on 29-9-2008 at 08:56 Reply With Quote

Hi Fola, How you keeping dude.

I hear you re: the lack of min weight and the fact it allows you to keep the COG as low as possible, but, what we don't want to happen here, is the field becoming all the same body, (whichever is the lightest etc). Then you get everyone wanting to race the same car because it's prved to be the lightest. We would like to have fields of different manufacturers, but all with a good chance of running strong, thats what we're after.

Otherwise, you're heading in the direction of vac formed bodies.. and we've already got the classic class using vac formed bodies with now eight rules, and it's become clear there as well.. So by maintaining a 60 gram min weight requirement, you can choose one of many different manufacturers, or bodies for the Legends series.

At the end of the day, we are trying to get people into the hobby, and by standardizing some of the rules, it helps keep costs to a minimum here, and also makes the cars easier to drive, and gives everyone a chance really.. If there are hot drivers who then wisht o persue a Worlds type event with you guys, they can then continue to develop and upgrade to Int spec, but we can't keep on trying to "keep up" with the International events, simply to be compatible, you know what I mean.. Costs are through the roof..

Keep up the good work dude.. We alls till marvwel at your building skills..

Regards

Big Al
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top