Not logged in

Recover Lost Password | Register     

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites

English: Schoeler Chassis anyone?
  Post new thread Poll:  
slotbaker

posted on 5-2-2004 at 08:18 Reply With Quote
Schoeler Chassis anyone?

Has anyone had any experiences with Schoeler Chassis?

How do they compare with Plafit, MoMo, TSRF, etc?

Like all things, there are many variables (track, body, motor, etc) so general opinions / comparisons would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve K.
tamar

Mood: A new beginning ;)
posted on 5-2-2004 at 15:52 Reply With Quote
A matter of choice

Hello Steve

A hot item, as many opinions circulate the slot scene :D, but I'll give it a try.

I would say that unless you're in a strong competition (were the variables determine which chassis suits them best) there's not much to choose between Momo, Plafit and Shoeler...performance wise!

They are all fully adjustable to fit most types of bodies, can be run with a wide range of motors and all use the same metric 3mm axles, 6mm bearings and M50 gears.

The TSRF is the odd one out, not that it's better or worse, its just made with a different philosophy. The TSRF was designed to create a new type of entry level Modelcar chassis for a predominantly US market. Here no nuts&bolts but a simple snap on RTR chassis complete with motor and wheels.

If you compare the Top line chassis of the other 3, Schoeler's are generally the cheapest... in Germany (direct line from manufacturer to the shop), closely followed by Momo and Plafit. But with shipment overseas I don't know how much of this difference remains.

However for guys like you, far away from das Modelcar Motherland (Germany) low price isn't everything.

Buying a standard chassis set is only the first step to build a modelcar. Most of the time you'll need some extra parts (screws, bodymounts, wheels etc, etc) to complete you car. But, as I found out form many mails by foreign slotters, information on which part ypou need is hard to get.

Here Motor Modern has the advantage of a well documented website with pics of all the parts and some tuning info (although not everything in English)

From what I know Plafit will open a new website with the same service somewhere later this year. No info on Schoeler doing the same.

with kind regards

With kind regards
Tamar
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
slotbaker

posted on 5-2-2004 at 21:54 Reply With Quote
Schoeler v Sakatsu v Plafit v MoMo

tamar,
Thank you for the feedback.
We have a distributer in Australia (Queensland) who handles Schoeler, Sakatsu and Plafit chassis, so availability may not be a problem.
It sounds like they could be worth a try.

Any other comments would be appreciated as well.

Thanks again,

Steve.
2h

Mood: Just looking for a fat lady...
posted on 8-2-2004 at 08:35 Reply With Quote

I would like to add to Tamars post that MoMo and Plafit have superior finish over the Schöler. MoMo is made of stainless steel, the Plafit is either painted iron or in the Full Race versions spring steel. Schöler is galvanized iron and brass, and you need to apply some filing to make it look nice. This may not affect the performance of the chassis.

I would say it is a matter of preference. Either chassis is a winner with the right setup.

Here in Denmark we have been running MoMos for a couple of years now, but due to avaliability, a lot of people have begun to buy Plafit from Germany. We have just started a Nascar Cup, and it remains to be seen which chassis will be the winning one. There will probably also run a couple af Schölers.

I think that it will be the up to the driver and the setup of the car to the specific track that does the difference, not the manufacturer of the chassis.

Plafit and Schöler er assembled with phillips screws and nuts, whereas the MoMo is assembled with hexnuts and threads in the bodyplates. There are advantages to both methods as well as disadvantages.

Happy racing

Best regards
Henrik
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tamar

Mood: A new beginning ;)
posted on 9-2-2004 at 18:10 Reply With Quote
A bit more info

Hello Steve, back with some more info.

From what I've seen and heard......

Schöler chassis.
Schölers are most popular in German races run with Touring/Classiccar bodies, (hard) silicon tyres (aka, Ortman/Wiesel tyres) and light(er) fox motors at 10-12v.
However they also seem to work well with more grip and power in a Sponge/Bison combination at 18-20v.

Its reasonable pricing partly explains why its so popular. German racers usually run 2-3 classes at a meeting, so they need to build a lot of cars. and with a 35 euro for a pre mounted chassis, running a Schöler does make a difference...financially :D

Considering its construction, (heavy rigid chassis mainplate, no springs) I would say that its main benefit is the low c.g. Specially with the high and narrow Touring bodies the low c.g helps them slide insteady of toppling over.
With no moving parts it is also a durable chassis.
If you take its top line Pantera G. chassis. the finish is more or less on par with Momo.

Because of its simplicity, its easy to get a good basic set-up, mount the body and just drive away. ;)
The downside should be the opposite, as it completely rigid chassis.....you can't change mutch on set-up, should conditions demand so. :o

You can check out all the different tune ups at Jens Scaleracing.
Dieter's (German) webshop has small english captions at all the articles, a big help for the non germanics amongst us :D

With kind regards
Tamar

p.s: could you post the address of the Australian distributer, there are some Aussies on the web looking for a good Modelcar supplier "down under"

:cool:
slotbaker

posted on 9-2-2004 at 21:45 Reply With Quote
Aussie Distributor

Hi Tamar,
Thank you for the follow up.

Werner Wittsack of ACE Hobbies, is an Aussie distributor for Schoeler, Plafit, Sakatsu, and a stack of others.

He is in Brisbane, Queensland.
Tel: 61-7-3355 2508
Fax: 61-7-3855 2529
emai: acehobbies@bigpond.com

I asked Werner about the Schoeler chassis, and he is advised that the 1/32 chassis are good value, and the 1/24 stuff is over priced when compared to MoMo and Plafit.

Thanks again,
Steve
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top