Not logged in

Recover Lost Password | Register     

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites

Tech tips: Center of gravity
  Post new thread Poll:  
JustMe

posted on 11-10-2004 at 08:33 Reply With Quote
Center of gravity

In persue of a heavily posted (and bombed) dutch topic here a new small little topic about the center of gravity, how to measure it and it's importance. :)

That dutch mentioned above concerns the advantage some bodys (or builders) have in terms of the amount and placement of ballast weight/center of gravity. Erwin Boerse has come up with the idea to let the body tip over at a certain angle. If the body falls, you're center of gravity is above that of the regs and you pass......... If you fall off, sorry, put more weight high in the body. :)
Quite simple and effective I would say.:coke:

Some guys on the Dutch forum (incl me) say that the center of gravity is very important for the roadholding of a slotcar. Of course this is true, BUT, some also say that when you have the lowest center of gravity, you win, absolutely NOT TRUE :)
Every builder builds his car in a certain way and it is very possible that one car with a very high center of gravity wins it of a car with a low c.o.g.
For example: on a track with huge grip you could like a body with a long tail, to help the car to go and slide, in stead of tipping over. :coke:

So what I'm trying to say is this; low c.o.g. helps, but is not necessery to win.
Please let us know how you guys feel.
gr Nick de Wachter

Paal

Mood: Dont Worry Be Happy
posted on 11-10-2004 at 14:03 Reply With Quote

We have a few guys here in Denmark who have come up with very clever ways of keeping the CoG low and wide, and their cars certainly handles better than most. At our last classic race they ran away with the race with no one able to keep up.

In truth though, any one of us could have made a car handle just as well by setting it up differently, thereby having challenged them for victory. I have my own philosophy, that I´m working on at at least with LMP type cars it looks as though I can be as quick or quicker than the best here, during training anyway. So of course the CoG is important but as you say IT WILL NOT WIN YOU THE RACE.

Model car racing is hard to control, just look at IMCA NASCAR, the rules looks good, but in the end there are lots and lots of places to find loop holes. Any good racer will find these and use them, just as in the 1:1 racing world.

Here in Denmark we constantly get blow away by those model car racers that also race Gr. 12 and so on, because they have specific ways of working with the weight distribution of the chassis and body. All I can say to that is LOOK, LISTEN and LEARN.

All for now, grettz all:coke:

Paal Hanson

Vikings Scaleracing Club, Denmark
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JustMe

posted on 12-10-2004 at 09:45 Reply With Quote
Position of CoG

of course the lower the CoG is, the better, but when extra ballast weight in the body can be applied lower then the center lines between the axles, then it will seriously improve the handling of the car. Like making heavier mountings in the body. :)

gabe2001
LMSadmin

Mood: U = R * I
posted on 14-10-2004 at 13:05 Reply With Quote

http://www.slotracinglemans.com/newforum/viewthread.php?tid=538 is an English topic btw and it does state some good arguments for and against. Lets not forget about those posts, hence the link here.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top