Recover Lost Password | Register     

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites

EEC 1/24 FIA GT: Body holders FIA GT
  Post new thread Poll:  
Kaitsu

Mood: No Mood
posted on 1-1-2008 at 18:16 Reply With Quote
Body holders FIA GT

The rule book says (art. 4): "Body mounts/holders modifiactions are allowed".

What does it mean? Can I make my own body holders? If I can't, how much I have to use original material from original body holders if I make "modifications"?

Can I clue carbon L-profile to my body and screw it to my chassis? Is this L-profile part of body or is it body holder? With construction like this I don't need original body holders of my MoMo chassis anymore. Is this according rules?

regards
kai
tamar

Mood: A new beginning ;)
posted on 4-1-2008 at 19:18 Reply With Quote
Body Mounts, Body holders

Hello Kai

I could answer with a simple yes or no, but as the Bodymounts are one of the typical grey area's in modelracing, I thought it would be best to dig a bit deeper.

First confusing thing is that although the body mounts are usually sold as part of a slotrace chassis, in the technical rules they are actually considered as part of the body. Second confusing thing is that what manufacturers call bodymounts can comprise of several parts bolted together.

So to answer your question "how much I have to use original material from original body holders if I make "modifications"? " let's look at what the FIA GT rulebook says.

4.3 Modifications - Body modifications to comply with Art 4.1 are allowed. Body mounts/holders modifications are allowed. Adding ballast and/or removing weight inside the body to comply with Art 1.3 is allowed.

Looks like we need 2 definitions,

1. what is a bodymount
  2. what is a modification

These definitions can be found in the General Technical Rules namely

ART.5 DEFINITIONS:
Body Mounts: Fixtures to mount a Scale Body on a Chassis.

and

ART.2 ELIGIBLE CHASSIS & PARTS/ HOMOLOGATION
2.3 Modifications: Change of part(s), material(s) and/ or shape of a described standard item is considered as a modification. Only listed modifications are allowed. If these are made they must be done according to the description and measurements as mentioned in the regulations.

Explenation
If use both definitions and apply them to 4.3 the "described standard item" you want to modify is the body mount. According to the definition the bodymount is that part with which the body is directly fixed to the chassis. ( in most cases the chassis rocker plate or chassis H-plate)

For the MoMo chassis that would be this part.
http://www.motormodern.com/images/Halteradapter.jpg
as this is bolted directly to the MoMo rockerplate
http://www.motormodern.com/images/Karosserietrager.jpg

So you can also say that this is considered as the minimum original material for a MoMo bodymount. You can even modify this part, but it still has to be used.
So bolting your L shaped profile directly to the chassis - rockerplate is not allowed.

With kind regards
Tamar
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Whitemouse

Mood: Life is GREAT!!!
posted on 4-1-2008 at 20:06 Reply With Quote

If you read the rules and the clarifications I believe that what you write above Tamar, is not 100% cut in stone and very much open to a certain level of intepretation.

Now, another thing that I feel need to be adressed is the use of stub axels for the front wheels. IS THAT ALLOWED OR NOT!

I ask because there seem to be a wide acceptance that all the SLP chassised cars (more or less) has been using these stub axels last year, however the rules state that the front axels need to be 3 mm blank axels, however they do not say whether they can be stub axels or they need to be solid axels.

I am really glad I´m not the tech control:bounc:

Cheers,
Paal Hanson
Vikings Scaleracing Club, Frederikssund, Denmark
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tamar

Mood: A new beginning ;)
posted on 5-1-2008 at 01:40 Reply With Quote
Looks like we need some more rules

Hello Pål

As with all regulations, there's always room for improvement. I talked this through with Nick and Willem and we did discover that we lack a good definition on what is part of the body and what is part of the chassis. and a desription on how a body should be attached to the chassis.

I will come back on this subject later this weekend....need to give it a bit more thought.

You question concerning the "stub axles" I have answered in this post

p.s. don't cheer to soon, about not being part of the T.C. ....during the events I plan to ask each and everyone of you to "assist" with tasks needing to be done to run the events :D

With kind regards
Tamar
Whitemouse

Mood: Life is GREAT!!!
posted on 5-1-2008 at 08:20 Reply With Quote

Shit, I knew I should have kept my mouth shut.........:D

Cheers,
Paal Hanson
Vikings Scaleracing Club, Frederikssund, Denmark
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top