Post new thread Poll:  
 Pages:  1  2  3
willem
LMSadmin

Mood: Tired
posted on 27-8-2004 at 10:27 Reply With Quote
Controller project

All,

As you are well aware that the controller is pretty much the most important piece of hardware you are using while on the track, it seems useful to start a thread about it.

Now one of our lead electronic wizards, ERWIN RAMTECH BOERSE also known as TWEETY, has built many controllers. All with there own specific twists and tweaks.
Some of those controllers have an excellent behaviour and control.

Below you'll find the electronic schema which has been used in some of those controllers and we're still testing to find out exactly what's happining when you're driving the car and adjusting values of risistors and potentiometers.

As the in the schema below you can see trhat there are 3 pot meters which allows you the adjust the following things.

• Pot 1: Attack control. This what we call the start off speed or power you send to the engine when you're hittin gthe first pad of the wiper-board.
  • Pot 2: Curve. This is the most "dangerous" thing to adjust. It allows you adjust the curve from pad 1 to pad 11. If the Pot is closed (maximum resistance), the curve is linear. If you adjust it to a lesser value, it will bend the curve evenly divided over the pads AND....it raises the start off speed at the same time!
  • Pot 3: Sensitivity. Now here's a nice one. This Pot allows you to control the reaction time of the engine when driving. It allows you to control the nervousness of the car which could come in very handy with tricky cars.

Think about it for a while and I'll be happy to discuss any subject about it:):):)

• View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
    ramtech

Mood: single
    posted on 29-8-2004 at 13:53 Reply With Quote

zo enthousiast als mensen me gek zeuren tijdens raceweekeinden over m'n regelaars had ik hier wel meer reacties verwacht

armen zijn nu echt te kort
    Rob de Wit

pimpflash.gif posted on 29-8-2004 at 19:21 Reply With Quote

Nou daar komt ie dan.

Kan je hem niet voor mij bouwen.
    Je weet wel met z'on enorme coolbox en dat hoeren lichtschijnsel.

Geintje,
    Moest effe van me laten horen.

Call me a building-clojo
    Het ga je goed vrind en groeten aan het meissie!
    Wanneer ben je in Noord deze week?
    willem
    LMSadmin

posted on 30-8-2004 at 06:46 Reply With Quote
    Schema without the full throttle relay

All,

I attached the exact sdame schema but now without the full throttle relay. This makes reading the schema somewhat easier.

Notice that the power is now directly connected to the full contact and that there's 1 wire less to the controller. 4 instead of 5.

Cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
    willem
    LMSadmin

posted on 31-8-2004 at 06:59 Reply With Quote
    Electronic schema controller

willem has attached this image:
    Controller-schema2.gif - 12.04kb

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
    Gert

posted on 31-8-2004 at 20:58 Reply With Quote
    Regelaar

Ligt mijn regelaar op de eerste plaats om te bouwen Erwin ??
    Ikwacht al een jaar of 5:P

Greetz Gert: Eens dan krijg ik hem, eens dan voel ik het genot :laugh::laugh:

P.S. Dan krijg ik mischien die vinger weer wat sneller:(

willem
    LMSadmin

posted on 1-9-2004 at 06:21 Reply With Quote
    Daar waren we al bang voor:):):)

Allen,

De bedoeling van deze thread is om informatie en kennis te delen omtrent de regelaar en in het bijzonder het schema van Erwin. Koop een soldeerbout en de onderdelen en bouw je eigen regelaar. Dat is de bedoeling.
    Begrijp me niet verkeerd Gert. Het staat je natuurlijk vrij om dat te vragen aan Erwin maar de grap is nu juist dat mensen zelf hun regelaar gaan bouwen. Zo moeilijk is het niet.
    Een Turbo regelaar en een paar componenten, het juiste schema solderen en je bent klaar.
    Zodra de mijne klaar is (Ook zelf gebouwd) zal ik foto's van de onderdelen met tekst en uitleg op het forum plaatsen. De foto's van de onderdelen heb ik over 2 dagen op het net :):):)

Cheers

Gert

posted on 1-9-2004 at 17:32 Reply With Quote
    Ok Willem

Het was maar als grap bedoelt want ik weet ook wel dat die lange daar geen tijd voor heeft.
    En ik ben nog erg tevreden over mijn Techje dus dat is geen probleem.
    Alleen die trage vinger hé:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Greetz Gert : Die met de vinger op fitnes gaat:D

ramtech

Mood: single
    posted on 1-9-2004 at 19:55 Reply With Quote

no txt:gun:

armen zijn nu echt te kort
    2h

Mood: Just looking for a fat lady...
    posted on 2-9-2004 at 09:36 Reply With Quote

I thought that one of the pots was the brake control??

It is, however, a tres nice controller.

But, guys, would you mind writing in English, as it takes me forever to dechipre the dutch :)

Best regards
    Henrik
    willem
    LMSadmin

posted on 2-9-2004 at 09:47 Reply With Quote
    Brake explanation

2h,

Because of the brake control being the most standards of controls, I've left it out. I will add the brake pot as well. Bare in mind that there are several ways to control the brake. The one most used is the one with a pot of around 50 ohms for 1/32 and1/24 modelcars. For the high amp engines you nedd something heavier with less ohmage.

The 3 pots in the schema are ONLY for the control of the output to the engine.
    Will have the pics online in a couple of days:):):cool::laugh::laugh::P

Gert

posted on 2-9-2004 at 18:24 Reply With Quote
    Well ok Friend of Ollebolle

We will do as you ask us to do and write in English:laugh:

Greetz Gert

willem
    LMSadmin

posted on 3-9-2004 at 10:50 Reply With Quote
    Same schema but now with Brake control

Controller-schema3.gif - 11.86kb

willem
    LMSadmin

posted on 7-9-2004 at 06:57 Reply With Quote
    First test report controller project!

All,

Yesterday evening in the cellar of Amsterdam (Hotslot) the controller was ready for it's first testrun at 22.15. 15 minutes earlier Erwin called me to check the status. He was just taking a shower after a long day of work including working at the new club in NOORD which is in the final stages.
    It didn't take much to convince Erwin to come over bringing a couple of his older controllers (which have basically the same schema).

The first check is always the important one. DOES THE ENGINE DO ANYTHING WHEN I TOUGH THE TRIGGER!...........IT DIDN'T...........PROBLEM: ERWIN PUT THE CAR IN THE WRONG LANE:cool::cool:

Then off we go and after the first 5 minutes I could truly say that the wires where hooked up correctly......;);)

Then the fiddling with the controls. We used a classic LOLA with Ortmann tires, excel chassis and buhler engine so driving with exactly the right tough is most important. That's were the controls come in handy.
    After some serious testing of TAMAR, ERWIN and myself I can honestly say the controller is a succes!:D:D~. Not only from a building perspective (I'm happy that it all works..) but from a driving perspective as well.
    Although the MUCO controller was still faster it was a good test to start with.
    Note: Although in Erwin's older controller the schema is exactly the same, the components used are from a different type and brand. There was NO real difference in performance although the tough and feel WAS slightly different.
    We have some ideas where that comes from. It has much to do with the used transistors and risistor steps on the wiperboard.

Advice: Try and build one for yourself! It does pay off as you can see:laugh::cool::P;)

willem
    LMSadmin

posted on 9-9-2004 at 06:20 Reply With Quote
    Cost of the project

Allthough I invested quit a bit of money to built the controller (around 300 euro's but I got lots a parts left and re-useable), you can built the controller for the follwoing costs:
  • Parma Turbo controller kit: 40 euro's (This is the complete Turbo controller without the resistor and that's exactly the part you don't need:cool:...And the package is in parts so you can built it from scratch which is also what we want. For comparison...the normal Turbo controller costs: more then 80 euro's:puke:
  • The wiper board. The one I used costs 15 euro's. You can also use printing plates (available in every electronic store)
  • Electronic components: Transistors, Pots, risistors. All together around 30 euro's.
  • Plugs and connectors: 10 euro's, if you don;t have them already:D

Total amount: 95 euro's

So for 95 euro's you have a state of the art controller which drives everything with wide range of control and a very good durability....AND, you've made it yourself:laugh::coke:;)

• View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
    2h

posted on 9-9-2004 at 10:22 Reply With Quote

Now, how's about some pictures of the baby???

Best regards
    Henrik
    willem
    LMSadmin

posted on 9-9-2004 at 10:58 Reply With Quote
    Upcoming, patience, patience

2h

posted on 10-9-2004 at 05:54 Reply With Quote

There are quite a lot of guys here in Denmark, swearing that it is a lot better if you have 20-24 bands to run the wiper over. They claim that you get a lot smoother transfer of the power. I notice that this project 'only' has 10 bands, as does the Tech 2000 and the NSR. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Best regards
    Henrik
    willem
    LMSadmin

posted on 10-9-2004 at 06:36 Reply With Quote
    That´s right

20 to 24 band IS smoother. Mine is not 10 but 12. But it´s still not the smoothest. The smoothest is the wire-wound risistor between 250 and 350 ohm. But that´s hard to find. Apparently in Denmark there are 20 or 24 bands wiper-boards. Where do you buy them?

Untitled-1.jpg - 85.7kb

willem
    LMSadmin

posted on 10-9-2004 at 06:37 Reply With Quote
    Pic 2

Untitled-2.jpg - 77.3kb

willem
    LMSadmin

posted on 10-9-2004 at 06:38 Reply With Quote
    PIC 3

Untitled-3.jpg - 89.24kb

willem
    LMSadmin

posted on 10-9-2004 at 06:38 Reply With Quote
    PIC 4

Untitled-5.jpg - 87.04kb

2h

posted on 13-9-2004 at 08:45 Reply With Quote

There are a couple of Danish guys, who are making their own controller, which is selling like hotcakes here. Carsten and Steen are making the CarSteen CS 0.10 and 0.50 controllers. They are now at v. 0.12 and 0.51. The 0.5x versions are transistorized with all the electronincs in an outsidebox

Carstens homepage is http://www.slotcarracing.dk. It is in Danish though. Click on Carsteen Håndspeedere, and it wil take you to a word document with pictures (I cant link to them from here, sorry). It is actally the users manual for the CS 0.10.

They are making or rather having made the wiperboards, you may want to talk to Carsten about som co-op....????

Best regards
    Henrik
    R-win

Mood: Speechless
    posted on 2-1-2005 at 13:42 Reply With Quote

Building in progress!:bounc:
    R-win

Mood: Speechless
    posted on 7-1-2005 at 18:14 Reply With Quote
    regelaar klaar!

R-win has attached this image:
    regelaar1.JPG - 46.47kb
     Pages:  1  2  3
    Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top